Today, children have little input into many choices that affect their lives. At the same time, parents and caregivers encounter confusing, contradictory, and incorrect information and pressures about birth and parenting in consumer magazines, by word of mouth, and from misinformed medical professionals.Research and clinical experience implicate many commonly accepted attitudes, social practices, and medical interventions in our high rates of birth-related injuries and deaths, children and parents who feel alienated from each other, depression and other mental health challenges, domestic abuse, violence, and suicide. At the same time, less well-known practices that may be socially discouraged in the U.S. have been linked to reducing SIDS (Sudden Infant Death) rates, improving birth outcomes, strengthening parent-child bonding, and improving long-term physical and mental health for children, parents, and society at large.
We will succeed at developing a warm, nonviolent society to the extent that we are aware and intentional in our choices. Raising our society’s children and supporting our society’s parents in a safe and supportive environment is a fundamental way to address and solve many social problems.
To promote a more nurturing start to life, greater physical and emotional health of children and parents, and a less violent society, NotJustSkin:
- Offers life-affirming workshops on a variety of topics.
- Hosts a free multimedia lending library.
- Provides information and support for parents and caregivers.
- Encourages choices that promote the physical, emotional, and psychosocial health of children and those who love them.
- Clarifies the options of pregnant, birthing, and post-partum women and families to promote the welfare of children and parents.
- Promotes tools for the elimination of social oppressions.
- Integrates input, information, and assistance from diverse scientists, medical practitioners, caregivers, parents, children, and others.
We invite you to learn, spread the word, and partner with us to create a wonderful, warm world for children, parents, and all of us.