Contributed by Liz O’Shea, CD, CCE, and Emily Kollmar, BA. Liz is a childbirth educator, birth doula and co-founder of the Birthing Circle of Frederick.
Emily is a birth and postpartum doula and co-founder of the Birthing Circle of Frederick.
Doula is a Greek word which means a woman who helps another woman. In regards to childbirth, a doula is a woman who provides support to the mother, in labor or pospartum, and possibly also to their family. Over the last 20 years more than 13 scientific studies have shown that when one woman cares for a laboring woman, that laboring woman is more likely to have a safer, shorter, less expensive and more satisfying birth experience. So why do you deserve a doula? What are the benefits? Read on…
- Affordability – Generally an average cost for doula services in our area ranges from $600 to $900 depending on where you live, what services are offered and the doula’s experience. It is not unusual for a more experienced doula to charge on the higher end.
- Convenience – We can come to your home during early labor.
- Flexibility- In our prices and in your labor and birthing options.
- Break the Fear-Tension-Pain Cycle through constant education and support.
- Constant presence throughout your pregnancy and from the beginning of your labor until 1-2 hours after birth.
- 50% reduction in cesarean rate
- Increased chance of spontaneous vaginal birth
- Reduced desire for pain medication.
- 40% reduced use of Pitocin.
- Fewer episiotomies
- Reduced duration of labor
- Reduced use of forceps
- Reduced use of vacuum extraction
- Reduced chances for health complications and hospitalizations for baby
- Reduced chances of maternal fever and infection
- Increased chances of successful breastfeeding
- Reduced incidence of postpartum depression
- Reduced levels of anxiety and better mother-infant interaction
- More positive birth experience for mother and partner
There are many benefits to having the support of a Doula before, during, and/or after your birth. Here is a resource for learning more about Doulas (in Spanish).
Tener el soporte de una Doula antes, durante, y después del parto trae muchos beneficios. Aquí puede encontrar más información acerca de las Doulas.
Offering Labor and Postpartum Doula Services